Friday, July 15, 2011

From Where You Are

Today is one of my high school friend's birthday. I don't get to see her much anymore - she lives across the country and so we don't find ourselves in the same place too often, but I do miss her as I miss a lot of my friends from high school.  Because of the goodness that is Facebook, I am able to keep in touch with a lot of people I wouldn't normally. I love that part of it. I feel like even though we are scattered everywhere, we are still somewhat close, even if it is only through electronic media.

Anyway, my friend, as I was reminded today, had a birthday party 20 years ago that I attended. 20 years - it seems like an incredibly long time when I say it, but it still feels like yesterday sometimes. So she had this birthday party, it was the summer before our senior year, and it was an amazing night. The party was co-ed (sorry Mom and Dad) and a sleepover, but I honestly didn't know it was co-ed until I got there. (I promise!) I don't remember much about the party except for a few things - my friend's mom did a belly dance - which was so cool! I had no idea Mrs. K did that. I remember not sleeping - we all pretty much stayed up all night. The one thing I do remember though, a bunch of us walked the neighborhood most of the night. Sometimes it was a large group, sometimes just 2 or 3 of us, but we must have trekked miles and miles going up and down the streets.

The things that were said on those walks that changed my life. The conversations, the revelations - it changed me forever. I fell in love for the first time that night, and in the process my tender heart took on a new rhythm.

And here I am 20 years later thinking of that night, while I sit on a Starbucks' patio, miles from where it all began.  And I wonder where the next 20 years will lead me.

Do you know where you were 20 years ago? Can you pinpoint a day like that? It is weird to me that I can, and that it is still so very clear in my mind.

But then, epic nights like that usually are.

Thanks, L, for having that party. I am grateful for the memories.

D :)

No comments: