Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Confused

Happy Monday everyone!

Oh wait - it's Tuesday isn't it?

Darn holiday weekends! They get me all confused! Never mind the fact that I was up at 5AM with the $#&($#@(#@!)!@ dog, and again at 6 with the baby. *yawn*

We had a lovely 4th of July weekend where we basically did nothing. lol. It was good though, in a strange, slacker sort of way. On Friday Hubby and Happy took the kayak to Wimberley and spent the day on the river. Saturday Hubby took Kiddo out for a short paddle in a local lake. Saturday night, I worked a very big, very interesting party out at a another very fancy home. Thankfully it was close by, so getting off at 11:30 wasn't that big of a deal. The party was very cool - a fundraiser event for a couple of charities. There were TONS of people, tons of kids, tons of food and tons of VIPs. A "teen" celebrity from a show on ABC Family was in attendance and provided me with my first in person experience with a mob of teenage girls devouring their celebrity crush. It was quite a scene. For the first time ever, I felt like a real paparazzi as I was trying to get his photograph without getting in his way. Of course, if I were a real paparazzi - I guess I wouldn't care about getting in his way, now would I?

Anyway, the party was a huge success, despite blowing the neighborhood electrical transformer. Thankfully it was right before the fireworks display, so the big boom and shower of sparks sort of fit in. And, without any pesky lights from the house and other homes on the street, the fireworks were that much more dramatic. See, a win win for all. ;-)

My lovely friend Jen assisted me at the party. It is always fun working with her. And it was so nice to get out of the house, have fun and make some good money in the process. :)

We didn't do anything on Sunday night. We were all pretty exhausted from the weekend so we treated it like any normal night. Of course, my entire street shot fireworks until almost midnight, much to the amusement of all the dogs in the neighborhood. Thankfully the boys weren't bothered by the noise. I felt so bad on Monday though, when Kiddo realized that we had "missed" the fireworks on the 4th. He was pretty upset. I guess next year (and also at New Year's) we need to take the boys to see fireworks. This was actually the first year in a looooong time that the city even allowed fireworks in the neighborhood streets - it would have been fun for the boys had I planned ahead and picked something up. Bad mommy! :(

It was a good food weekend though. On Saturday, we made ribs on the grill. For a few hours before hand, I marinated the ribs in cooking sherry, balsamic vinaigrette and Worcestershire sauce. Hubby seasoned with garlic salt and lemon pepper while they were grilling and they turned out amazingly good! They had a wonderful flavor that I think came from the marinade. I will have to remember that next time too. I also made homemade cinnamon vanilla ice cream and homemade apple pie. I think I will ask for a nice ice cream maker for Christmas. The one we have is really cheap and it is so hard to get it to turn and keep it turning. Then once the ice cream starts to firm up, it won't turn anymore. We have to either sit there and manually turn it or just pour the semi soft-serve in bowls and finish the freezing process in the freezer. On Sunday we grilled burgers and had them with garden fresh cucumber/tomato salad and more apple pie and ice cream for dessert. YUM!

Today I am making a strawberry/banana bundt bread. I had some bananas and strawberries going bad - and I wasn't able to add the bananas to the collection in my already overflowing freezer. I hope it turns out good; as usual I made a lot of changes to the recipe.

...a little later...

Delish! Here is my recipe for your pleasure!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pan with cooking spray (can use 2 loaf pans, muffin tins or what I used, a Bundt pan)

Ingredients: 4 eggs, slightly beaten.
2 cups sugar (I used 1c brown, 1 c white)
~1 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped/mashed
3 mashed bananas
splash of vanilla (maybe a teaspoon?)
1 cup oil (I used coconut oil, but any will do, and if I had applesauce I would have used 1/2cup oil and 1/2cup apple sauce)
3 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1 cup + 2-3T rolled oats (divided)

In one bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until combined. in a mixer bowl combine eggs, sugar, strawberries, bananas, vanilla and oil. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Slowly add in flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in oats until evenly distributed.

Sprinkle 2-3 T of oats in the bottom of the Bundt pan and sprinkle another 1-2 T of brown sugar on top of that. If using loaf pans or muffin tins, do this step last. Pour batter into prepared pans.

For the Bundt pan, it took exactly 1 hour and it was perfect. Loaf pans should be about the same, maybe a little less than an hour; I would bake the muffins about 20 minutes (if they are regular size). Check with a toothpick to make sure.

This is the link to the original recipe, though as you can see I changed it up a little. ;-) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawnana-Bread/Detail.aspx

Hope you have a wonderful Monday, er uh, Tuesday!

Until,
D :)

No comments: