Friday, May 22, 2009

Superman

my poor dog! she puts up with so much!



Happy Friday Company Girls!! (and other beloved regulars)

Wow, what a week it has been! Have you all seen the entries for the Company Girl Photo Contest?!? Amazing! It is going to be soooo tough to narrow it down. There are so many great moments captured. If you haven't checked it out, stop on by and scroll through. And please submit something if you have a great image to share as well. We are loving seeing all of your memories!

Miss Rachel Anne blessed me this week with not only allowing me to help her in the Book Project and Photo Contest, but she also granted myself and my podcast co-host Kim an interview for our Musing Mommies Podcast!! It was so fun talking to her via Skype, seeing her face and expressions - it felt like she was right there with us! Her interview will be featured in next week's show, which will air sometime mid week.

Things have been pretty hectic here this week. I managed to take the boys to 2 play dates (a record for Miss Homebody me! Lol!) Wednesday we went to a really nice park to play with some friends. Kiddo had a rough go of it. One of his little buddies was not in the mood to play with him and the rejection was a bit too much for Kiddo to take. It broke my heart to see him crying on the playground. For the past couple of weeks, I have really been questioning our decision to not send him to Kindergarten this year, but after seeing him unable to emotionally handle the social aspect of a play date, I now think we have made the right decision. While he is academically more than ready to go, and while he has a very very strong desire to start school, I just don't feel that he is ready emotionally . He just couldn't grasp why anyone wouldn't want to play with him. To him, everyone is still a friend. He doesn't really understand when someone is being unfriendly to him. Just today we were at the sprinkler park and another boy his age was chasing him around and beating him upside the head with a bucket. He just kept running and running away and telling the kid to stop and even though I could tell it wasn't pleasant, he still wanted to play with the kid (even after a big fall, sliding on the concrete, serious road rash on his chest and his own bucket getting broken because of it). When I asked him why he didn't tell the kid to stop or why he didn't come get me he said "Mommy I was handling it all by myself." Such a big kid.

And speaking of big - he is right in the midst of another huge growth spurt. I had to pull out half of his pants and put them away because they were all suddenly too small. He put on his Mr. Incredible costume today, and even though just a few weeks ago it fit him perfectly, it now looks like I shrank it in the wash! (I didn't) I don't know what we are going to do about clothes for him. I guess I need to start hitting garage sales or something. Shoes are a whole other issue. *sigh*

{random photo: jammies, superhero mask, one black glove. the dinosaur was attacking me.}rawr!

Little Port is getting to be such a big boy too. He is growing like a weed. When it is time for naps or bed time, he practically dives into the crib. The boy likes his bed and he likes to sleep. Though, he's been waking me up around 6 AM pretty much every day for the past 2 weeks now. I am not too happy about that. I have about determined that the 8-10 hours of broken sleep I was getting when he was waking me up 20 times a night was way more manageable than the 6 hours of solid sleep I am now getting. I think I probably need to start going to bed earlier. Hubby and I are really enjoying our time alone in the evenings though. We've never had that before (well I guess we had it before kids, but not since).

But back to Port, he finally has learned how to clap (he's 13 months old). Sort of. hee hee! I never really tried to teach him before because, well, I just kinda forgot. I am not a "clapper" so it never really occurred to me. But about a month ago I was watching a little boy in church that was probably about 6-8 months old and he was clapping away! So I tried to see if Port could do it - nope! For about a week after I started trying to teach him, he would slap my hand or pat his legs, but he just couldn't figure out how to put his hands together. Then a few days ago, he got up off the floor, walked over to me and looked right at me and clapped! It was so funny, like it had just clicked in his head! Now he will only do it once or twice, but at least I know he can.

This week he also started climbing up on the couch all by himself. Thankfully he could already get down unassisted, but the climbing up is totally new. Now he tries to climb everything. And counter tops are also no longer out of reach. Back we go to putting everything on the back of the counter top. ugh.

So last night at about 9:30 Hubby and I were sitting in the office working when we heard 3 gunshots very close to our house. Apparently some individuals in a pick up truck fired out the window as they were driving past our street! I was seriously freaked out. Thankfully no one was hurt. Our neighborhood has been very quiet the past few years so I was kinda shocked. The theory is that some kids were goofing off, but I'm not sure. It sure did wake up our street though - everyone was outside for a long time talking to the cops. I think every house on the street called them!

In more gardening news, we are harvesting 2-3 zucchini a day now. It seems the more we pick, the faster the others grow! I did discover another plant that had been bored by that beastly squash bug. UGH! I am so tired of those things! I can't find the larva on that plant either, but I cut into it pretty good so hopefully I skewered it in the process. Hopefully the plant survives too because it has several large zucchs on it already. A few days ago we transplanted the tomatoes to the new bed and today I planted the jalapeno peppers, the lima beans, the peas, carrots and transplanted the bell peppers as well. Everything in the original garden is blooming and exploding - the corn looks so cool and the cucumbers are about to produce too. Even the poor little onions that have been smothered by the zucchini plants are doing ok. Tomorrow I will plant the black beans, more onions, the broccoli (though I don't think they will make it) and some parsley.

I am excited about the garden and look forward to tending it every evening. After Port goes down for the night Kiddo and I go out and "work" in the garden (well, I work and he smells flowers! Lol!). It is really relaxing and I find I want to keep working it long after the light is gone. I wish I had more time to tend it during the day, but I have to pretty much stick to nap times for that.

Anyway, this weekend we will no doubt be finding new ways to cook zucchini - I am thinking about maybe grilling some on Monday! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend! Thanks for stopping by!

Until,
D :)

5 comments:

Victoria said...

Poor Kiddo :( It's so tough when they deal with rejection at this age, isn't it? Bean deals with it a lot at 'school', and it just sucks because she'd be everybody's friend if she could. (She talks tough about not liking boys, but I've never seen her turn down a playmate of any sex, age, size or species.)

Yay Port!! Miss O still cannot climb onto the sofa or even Bean's bed that's on the floor. Not for lack of trying, just lack of height :)

Good for you for getting out on two playdates! I miss those ...

secondofwett said...

Oh, I just hate it when one of my kids isn't accepted by others...and now it happens to my precious grandbabies too....it's just not fair...I'm glad your little boy felt good abt handling it himself.

Jenn said...

When I was growing up we had a HUGE garden and had to get very creative w/zucc esp. I remember my mom making zucc. bread, muffins, and brownies! I love it now w/a bit of S&P, some parm, and just toasted a little. Heavenly!
I've yet to harvest anything! I think I make need to pick some yellow squash cuz there's so many they may be too crowded. But they're litte. And lots of zucc flowers have come and gone...I guess they're on the way? Same w/bell pepper. And no tomatoes yet except green cherries. I'm tired of waiting!!!

Cheryl said...

Awww - the poor Superhero. He sounds so friendly that no wonder it's hard for him to imagine someone not wanting to be his buddy. I'm sorry. :(

Erin said...

Ah, the growth spurt. Yes, they never stop growing. Though it happens so fast I'm now convinced our dryer is shrinking all their clothes.