Thursday, August 13, 2009

Honor To Us All

I had intended on posting this yesterday, but Blogger was having technical issues and I just didn't feel like trying to find a back door into the posting page. Anyway, I wanted to share a little Kiddo-speak with you.

About a week ago I was getting dressed in the bathroom. Both kids were with me (*sigh* when does that stop?) and after, uh, admiring me, Kiddo looked at himself in the mirror said,

"Someday, when I'm older, like 35, I am going to have big boobies too!"

I hope I remember to work this story into my toast at his wedding...

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~



In other news, I received a fabulous award! I just love bloggy bling! Miss Vick, over at Hanging By a Nerve, bestowed this honor upon me, and I am instructed to pass it along to 5 people and also list 5 obsessions for the accompanying meme.

Five obsessions...hmm. This is a toughie. Obsessions tend to be negative things by definition, but I kind of like mine, so I am hesitant to post them. But I will play along. *wink* In no particular order...

1. Caffeine: I would say coffee, but really it goes beyond that. As unhealthy as it is, I am obsessed with coffee, Dr. Pepper and chocolate. I must have some of all three every day. When I finish my coffee in the morning, I immediately start thinking about my lunch time Dr. Pepper. Every day it takes a lot of willpower to wait a few hours to have one. I am thinking about it right now...ahhhhh!

2. Cooking: I love to cook, love to create new dishes and love to look at recipes. I love reading about cooking, looking at food photos, being in the kitchen and working on anything having to do with food. It even translates into my insane desire to garden. I love baking just as much as anything else, and rarely ever follow a recipe exactly (even though in baking you are supposed to). When I look at recipes I can usually "taste" the food as I read the ingredients - and the taste in my mind is usually pretty spot on with determining if something is going to be good or not.

3. The Internet: Yes, it is unhealthy. I know. I love everything about it though - I have made so many amazing friends and met so many interesting people. It has opened worlds to me that I would have never discovered without it. It has connected me to people I may have never found otherwise. It has given me an outlet for my thoughts and feelings and stories. It has allowed me to figure out things about myself. It has given me opportunities that I never would have had, ever.

4. Photography: I suppose this is a given. I love capturing moments in time, memories and the little things that we all too soon forget. I love the details; the beauty that I can bring out in everyone, big and small. I love that I can almost always make someone feel special and attractive when I take their picture. I love getting to know children and developing a connection with them during my sessions. I love examining and documenting every inch and angle of newborns, capturing the youth and dreams of older children and the wisdom and experiences in the eyes of the adults.

5. My Kids: I am a constant worrier. I fear I am messing it all up. I know I only have one shot at raising my kids and I want to do the best I can for them. I know I can never do enough and yet every day they astound me with their intelligence, their wit, their cleverness and their love. They make me laugh and cry and scream every day. They make me crazier than I've ever been and they make me love more than I ever thought possible. They are my life; the air I breathe and what makes my heart keep beating.

So there you have it. Those are my obsessions. They're not too bad in the grand scheme of things I guess.

I have to tag 5 people now - my first inclination is to tag my favorite blogs, but most of them are seriously big and have tons of awards already. And I would have tagged Vick and Julia - but they have both been tagged already. So that leaves me with really only 3 clear choices.

1. Rachel Anne of Home Sanctuary. Her blog truly is Fabulous! Every week day there is something new. She has a wonderful sense of humor, she's real, honest and just as nice in person as she comes across on her blog (maybe even more so).

2. Shari with Spot O Wine. Shari's blog is relatively new, but her recipes and wine knowledge set her apart from the ordinary food/wine blog. She's got a great sense of humor and funny writing style. And even though we've know each other since high school, I am enjoying getting to know her better through her blog.

3. Jill with Nalley News. I just love Jill's blog. She is one of those crafty, creative mommas that I wish I could be. Shoot, if I could only come up with a 3rd of the stuff she does, my kids would be so much better off. She takes beautiful pictures of her girls too.

Now, there are others that would be great if they actually posted something every now and then *cough, cough* you know who you are... and there are also the greats that have more accolades, readers and awards than anyone can imagine (Pioneer Woman, Smitten Kitchen, Chicken and Cheese to name a few) and I have too many other favorites to mention.

Thank you Vick, for making my day! I am truly honored.

Until,
D :)

2 comments:

The Wino said...

Thank you so much! I would like to thank my sister for pushing me into this gig. Who knew it would be so satisfying! Dawn I would have to agree that even though we have known "of" each other for many years, I feel I am now getting to know you. If only we lived in the same state even we could be cooking and eating and getting high on coffee together! Thank you again and I will try to do you proud!

Jill said...

Aww you are sweet! I am feeling a little uncrafty lately, so I better get back on the wagon! :-) Thanks!