Thursday, October 12, 2006

H-town, the G man and a Boo Shirt

Here is what I can remember from the post that got eaten yesterday...

I had a really great weekend! My best friend's mom asked me to go to H-town to photograph their family for them. They were keeping their grandson for a few days (G man) and wanted some good pictures with the whole family together. Of course, I had to go, and was honored to be asked to document such a momentous occasion.

Hubby had been on vacation for several days before, and came home the night before I left. He was surprised to find that I bought a new lap top, as our old one is out of commission for an undetermined amount of time, and I absolutely could not stand another moment of the dinosaur in our cave of an "office". I should have told him what he told me, to suck it up and deal with the dinosaur, but being the wonderful and sweet wifey that I am I allowed him to work on his pictures on MY new computer - yes, I said MY computer, don't get your panties in a wrinkle. I bought it for my business, so I shall call it mine. pppbbbt!

Anyway, I drove with Kiddo to H-town and stopped at my friend's house for a quick visit and to take a few pictures of her beautiful little girl. This child has the most soulful eyes I have ever seen. When she looks at you it's as if she is looking into your soul - it almost makes me uncomfortable, but I love her too much to be bothered by it.


Later on we headed over to the grandparents house, and Kiddo got lots of good Grammy and Happy time before bed. The next morning I met the family at a local pumpkin patch for pictures. We had so much fun chasing the G man around and snapping pictures - it was tough to get everyone to smile and look at me at the same time, but I think I got some great shots anyway.

The G-man... :)

The next day I had the opportunity to visit with another good friend, who has a beautiful 4 month old girl and 2 older boys. God bless her for even getting out of her pjs; I really don't know how she does it! Unfortunately, I had to cut that visit short because an obnoxious storm was rolling in. I left just as the rain started and ended up pulling over in the parking lot of a gas station to wait the worst of it out. As I was sitting under the awning, praying for everything to blow over quickly, I noticed a guy in the lane next to me pumping gas. Um, ok. Maybe he needed it right then and there, but picture this - the sky is that oh-my-goodness-we-better-run-green that only happens in Texas when tornadoes are in the general area, the wind is blowing tree branches down all over the place (and we are surrounded by pines - not the sturdiest tree out there), and the rain is coming down so hard you cannot see 5 feet in front of your car to drive. So this yahoo is in his little chef's jacket, pumping gas into his new mustang *rolling my eyes*. And I am sitting there, trying to remember all the safety procedures that have been pounded into my head for years when - BAM!!!! Lightning struck right next to the guy in the parking lot. I have never seen another human jump so high! He bolts into the gas station and I am sitting there taking inventory of body parts and making sure I don't need a change of clothing - I imagine Mr. Chef did...

After a few minutes the storm blew over and I continued home to my inlaws. Picked up Kiddo and we headed to my friend's mom's house. She had forgotten to bring me something the day before and so I had told her I would stop in on my way out of town.

Now, my Backyard Mom (as I fondly call her) lives in the same neighborhood and same house that they did when her daughter and I were in high school. Their house was directly behind mine, and her daughter and I would spend countless hours standing at the fence talking into the wee hours of the night. (for a funny visual - I am tall so I stood flat footed and looked over the fence, my beautiful, but height challenged best friend had to stand on a chair!) :) Anyway, my parents moved out of state years ago, and I haven't been back to the old 'hood more than a couple of times since.

It is really funny what the heart and mind remembers. As I drove down the major road that leads to the neighborhood, I was overcome by a series of emotions and memories flooding over me. By the time I got to their house, I was about to go nuts! I felt like I was 18 again, and though the neighborhood was well worn and the trees were much bigger than I remembered, the feelings and sounds and smells were all there. The visit was nice, but short and soon we were on our way. Kiddo made sure to have a glorious melt down right as we were leaving, just to give my dear friends a good look at his charming personality.

The drive home was one of mind boggling emotions and thoughts - I was still stuck somewhere in 1992 and it was very strange. Haven't been there in a while...

Oh yes, I mentioned the Boo shirt - my Backyard Mom had purchased these adorable Boo sweatshirts for her grandkids and was sweet enough to think of my Kiddo and get him one too. He spotted it on the car seat next to him on the drive home and began demanding I put it on him. And - he was wearing his beloved Incredibles shirt - can you believe it?? He hasn't taken that shirt off in over a month, but the Boo shirt was just that cool. Of course, I couldn't oblige him at that moment as we were barreling down the freeway at 65 mph, but as soon as we got home he had me put it on. He wore it all that night and all the next day (don't forget it is still in the low 90's here during the day). I finally had to hide it in the garage so I could wash it. I don't have a picture yet, but I will get one soon.

And one of my favorite pictures from the weekend is.....drum roll please!


Man, we torture those babies, don't we?! ;)

Until,

D

No comments: