Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Say What You Need to Say

Dinner was just so good tonight, I just have to share with you. I am sorry, I didn't take any pictures - you'll have to use your imagination. Anyway, I had a package of frozen whole chicken legs and a bag of dried black beans. I have never cooked black beans before, so I did a "quick soak" and then after put them in a pot with some chopped bell pepper, onion and garlic, then added chicken stock and a little spoon full of bacon grease (don't be hatin'). I let that simmer for a couple of hours on the stove this afternoon (oh and it smelled sooooo good!). Then when the chicken was thawed, I put it in a big skillet with some garlic salt and lemon pepper and browned it. Then I tossed in a can of Rotel (chopped tomatoes and green chilies), a can of corn and 2 cups of the black beans. I covered that and let it simmer until the chicken was done. Meanwhile, I sauteed about 1/2 cup of chopped onion in some coconut oil, then when it was soft I poured in a cup of uncooked rice. I stirred that until the rice was coated in the oil and started to brown a little. Then I added 2 cups of chicken broth and brought it to a boil. I covered that and lowered the heat all the way down and let it simmer until it was done (about 10 minutes or so). Served the chicken and the corn/beans/tomatoes over the rice and added a little sprinkle of cumin over the top - YUM! All of it was based off of a couple of recipes I found on Allrecipes - I so love that site! So if you have a chance to try it, do!

Next time I will use boneless chicken though.

We had a pretty rough morning this morning. Port decided to start fussing at about 5:30am, and when he still hadn't stopped 20 minutes later I just got up with him. That makes for such a long day. He didn't nap well either. He slept for about 2 hours, but he woke up a couple times during and fussed. By his bed time tonight he was exhausted. I don't know if he's getting hot in the night or what. Our air conditioner isn't running as much due to the lower night time outdoor temps, and at times it gets pretty stuffy in here. But it hasn't really been that much warmer in the house.

This afternoon I caught a cute "conversation" between the boys. This went on for about 5 minutes.



Finally, a little Kiddo speak for you...

Tonight just before bed I told Kiddo he needed to go wash his face and go potty. I asked him, "do you have any clean washcloths in the bathroom?"

His reply, "Go Fish".

What a comedian!

Until,
D :)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I LOVE the video! Priceless! :)

Unknown said...

Ah Didididid ah dididi