Thursday, February 18, 2010

Come Back to Me

I refuse to let a whole week go by without blogging here. Mercy - I don't know what is wrong with me lately, blogging just seems to be the last thing on my list. The funny thing is, it is almost the most important thing on my list for many reasons. The main reason being that it is my own little therapist couch, where I can tell my stories and vent my frustrations and whoever wants to listen (or read) can and whoever doesn't can just click to something else. Thank goodness for freedom!

I have had 2 culinary triumphs this week. The first, on Fat Tuesday, my first ever attempt at cajun food (except for the occasional grits. lol), crawfish etouffee! I got a great recipe from my friend Shannon over at Rants, Raves and Recipes, and the next thing I knew I was making my first roux! What a trip. It was definitely not something I will try again unless I know I will have uninterrupted time to stir for about 30-45 minutes. The boys kind of made that part difficult.

But, what made the whole thing sooooo nice and easy was my beautiful, stunning, supportive, wonderful....

Lodge Color Porcelain Enamel On Cast Iron dutch oven I received for Christmas! Wheeee!

Can I just tell you how much I love this thing?!??! Wowzers! It was so nice to work with.

Anyway, the recipe was great. I added a couple of table spoons of bacon grease to the roux and some salt overall and the etouffee was perfect. Kiddo liked it pretty well, especially considering how picky he has been lately, but Port wouldn't touch it. I was kind of nervous about giving him shellfish anyway, so his refusal didn't hurt my feelings any.

My second triumph was last night. I made my usual Parmesan crusted salmon and normally I would make rice and some sort of veggie. But since the night before we had rice with our etouffee, I decided to make some pasta instead.

I like to keep things interesting like that.

I had some things in the fridge that needed to be used so I made up my own little concoction. I chopped some yellow onion and sauteed it in butter until it began to soften. Then I tossed in a bunch of sliced mushrooms and sauteed them for a couple of minutes as well. I added some kosher salt, let it all get yummy and lovely and then I added in about 1 cup of chicken broth, 1 cup of heavy cream, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (the green can is fine) and 4 oz (1/2 block) of cream cheese. I seasoned it all with a ton of fresh cracked black pepper, a little garlic salt (because I forgot to add minced garlic) and some dried basil. When the cream cheese melted and everything simmered for a little bit (and thickened) I tossed in about a cup of halved cherry tomatoes and stirred them around until warm (you don't want to cook them too long or they will start to break down).

O
M
G

It was sooooooo GOOOOOD!!!! I poured the cream/veggie mixture over fettuccine noodles and put my salmon fillet on top. I drizzled a little more of the sauce over the whole thing and it was absolutely to. die. for! (if I do say so myself!)

Mmmmm, now I want some more! Too bad I used up all the mushrooms and tomatoes.

It was wonderful to make a couple of great dishes that my family enjoyed. I just love feeding people (and myself, hee hee!).

Things around here are starting to get busy. Next week I am shooting 2 weddings. I am almost fully booked for March with sessions and am now booking some April stuff too. I have to say, I give God all the glory! He is so good! We were in serious financial trouble this month, we prayed and prayed and did what we are supposed to do, and He provided. I just love how that all works!

Little Port man refused a nap today. It should be an interesting evening.

Oh, and just for record sake, some crazy yahoo intentionally flew a jet into one of the office buildings right down the street from Hubby's office today. Before he did this horrible thing, he set his own house on fire, and left some rambling manifesto on his website explaining why he did what he did.

My prayers go out to all involved, from the pilot to the onlookers who will be forever affected by this tragedy. Suicide is such a selfish act. It leaves so much heartache and mental suffering in it's wake.

And with that I leave you with even more poop. The real kind this time - poor little Port had a massive, blow out poopy diaper this evening. He was eating his dinner and it leaked out and he accidentally got it on his hands. Poor little guy came into the kitchen all scrunchy faced and frantically trying to wipe it off. I, having no idea what had happened, fetched a wet napkin and started to clean him up (I thought he just got some pear on his hands or something). When I realized what I was cleaning I took him to the bedroom to change him. I discovered that he was absolutely covered in it, and it was. freaking. him. out. He did not like it one bit!

It was quite traumatic getting him cleaned up, and he still fussed for a few minutes after, as if he was unsure I had done a good job. I told Hubby that, while I hate that he was traumatized by the whole thing, I was so happy he was traumatized! I am just thankful he found it repulsive and not fun. I don't need any more "painters" in my house!

You're welcome. ;-)

Until,
D :)

1 comment:

Barb said...

I love my handme down dutch oven (sans lid) and your sauce sounds wonderful.

So glad that your prayers were answered dear friend.