Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall

Ok, so I think I did pretty good last week - I got 4 out of 7 days in. Ok, so it's not THAT great, but it was much better than what I was doing... Anyway...

We went all week without using the a/c. Thank God for such nice weather. Saturday morning I had a photo shoot and when I returned Hubby went to task of cleaning the coils on the interior a/c unit. The week before he had tried to clean them by spraying them with water. Little did he know that they were so caked with dust and grime that the water did nothing but turn the mess into a thick, gruesome sludge. Ick, Ick, double ICK!

So he opened up the housing unit and after we both dry heaved a bit he soaked it down with some Simple Green and started scraping. Oh. My. Goodness. It was so disgusting. I cannot even begin to tell you.

It took him all afternoon but he finally got things relatively clean. We probably should have a professional come in and clean out the vents too - because if they are even half as nasty as the coil, it is a wonder we are not all sick. But alas, that is just one more thing we can't afford.

My session went really well. The family was so sweet and hopefully I didn't wear them out too much dragging them around the park. Hopefully the fall will find me busy enough that I can keep up my creative energy and really get some great images for my website. I love new material - I love learning new things with regard to photography and processing and the only way I can get either of those things is to shoot, shoot, shoot. Anyone need some family photos??? Seriously, send me an email!


I am looking forward to my first annual, DLM Photography Mini-Session Weekend. I think it will be really fun. I am currently on the hunt for something special to use during the shoots (I don't want to say too much, but hopefully I can find it and use it in my sessions). Unfortunately finding such item requires pounding the pavement a little, and my walking shoes are buried under kid's car seats and a breast pump. In other words, I never have the time or energy to go anywhere nor do I have the opportunity to go without dragging the rug rats with me. I love them both but they are not the best shopping buddies.

Anyway, I guess I got off subject a bit. Little Port is rolling all over now. He can go both directions from either side. At night, he sleeps on his side. It is the cutest thing - I'll lay him down on his back and he'll stay that way for a minute or two. Then he'll suddenly stir and curl himself up and roll to his side; and when he does he groans like a little man. lol!

I've been trying to show him that he can actually move himself places without my assistance. He hasn't quite grasped the concept yet of "going". He wants to go, but he still thinks that all movement comes from me and he gets so mad if I am not around to move him when he is ready. He will sit on the floor and spread his little arms wide and just cry - it is pitiful! When he is on the floor I will put him up on his knees and rock him a bit to get him used to the crawling sensation. I have also tried to get him to hold on to things. This practice bit me in the backside last night. He was playing in his crib while I was folding some laundry and he suddenly got upset and wanted to be moved. I stood him up in the crib and put his hands on the rail closest to me. I thought, even if he fell, he would fall to his bottom and then possibly fall over to a lying position so it was no big deal if I let him go. His hands were on the rail and he had the biggest grin on his face. I let go and he started to lean back. He let go of the rail and in slow motion started falling backwards, goofy gummy grin still spread across his face. I was thinking to myself as it was happening, "ok now he'll put his booty down and sit in the crib..."

nope

The kid fell back, straight as a board, expecting someone to catch him and I didn't. His head hit the back rail of the crib (low near the mattress). It scared. the. begeebers out of him. He screamed like he had been shot and I felt so, so bad. Hubby came in the room to see what had happened and he found us both crying. All I could think about was how this little being trusts me and has no other option but to rely on me for protection and safety and I just completely let him down by letting him fall.

Of course he is fine, but I still feel awful about it. How could I do that to him?

He got lots of extra cuddles and kisses today. And part of an oatmeal butterscotch cookie - but don't tell anyone about that, ok?

I certainly won't let it happen again.

Until,
D :)

If you want to see some more cute pics of Port (and some of my friend's kiddos too), check out Mollie's blog. She caught some cute images the other day. Thanks Mollie!!

No comments: