Monday, September 15, 2008

Rock You Like a Hurricane

I'm going to start this early today so that I can get a post in. It may take me all day to do it - but it will get done. My goal is to post every day this week! Think I can do it? We shall see...

So we had an exciting weekend. Hurricane Ike was coming this way and we spent all Friday putting our ducks in a row - calling friends and family and making sure everyone had a place to stay if they needed it. The Austin area expected heavy rain and strong wind, but we didn't really do much to prepare for anything except picking up the yard and the driveway. They needed it anyway.

So the storm came, and while it devastated the coast and Houston, our little house saw nothing more than a gentle breeze and nary a drop of rain. It was a beautiful weekend. And in all that beauty, it was difficult to understand, even grasp what our friends and family in Houston had gone through - much less what they are still going through.

It is a beautiful day today. A cold front came in last night and dropped our temps overnight to the high 50's. By the time I got up it was 65 out and now at almost noon it is an enchanting 70 degrees out. Fall is in the air - and though I am sure it is only a tease, I am enjoying every minute of it. That holiday excitement is stirring deep in my bones, it is giving me a renewed sense of happiness.

It is amazing what a decent night's sleep can do for you. Port and I have had a rough, rough week. He rarely napped, and if I did manage to get him down it was for no longer than 30 minutes at a time. He would not let me set him down for anything, and night time was even worse. We decided to try him in the crib at night, thinking that perhaps the extra room and comfort might help his sleep. The first couple of nights were awful. We tried placing him on his tummy, propped to one side, everything it seemed, and nothing really helped. I ended up with him on the couch a couple of times. The third night I realized that I was getting up for every little squeak he made, and most of the time by the time I stumbled over to the crib (in our room) he was already back asleep. So I started trying to just listen when he squeaked and wait for it to either die down or escalate. More often than not he would just go back to sleep.

Last night I was so worried as we prepared for bed. Our air conditioner has been on the fritz all weekend and we had turned it off last afternoon to give it a rest and enjoy the cool breezes coming in. By 9:00 though, it was getting a bit uncomfortable and we were close to time to put the kids to bed. Port does not sleep well when he is hot, and I was dreading being up all night with him once again. I dressed him as lightly as possible, took out his blanket and hoped for the best.

And he slept for 6 1/2 hours.

ahhhhhhhhhhh!

I had trouble getting him to settle back down when he woke up at 5:30, so he ended up in bed with us, but that is ok. That 6+ hours uninterrupted was pure heaven.

So today we are a/c free, windows and doors open enjoying the day. Man, I wish it would stay like this.

It's like Arizona in the winter... ;)

So now we are faced with what to do about the air conditioner. We have been nursing it for a few years now - just praying it would hold out "until next fall" when we could fix or replace it. We still don't have the money to replace it, but we do have some options now.

One, our credit card debt is low enough that charging a new a/c unit wouldn't wreck us financially. I hate to do that of course, but it may be our best option. Two, we just received a really, really nice gift from my parents, and while we would love to keep it, selling it would probably pay for a new air conditioner.

Oh the complexities of life. I hate living paycheck to paycheck.

Until,
D :)

ETA: This really has nothing to do with the post, and I am not really a Scorpions fan (I mean, up until today I thought the song was "Rockin'" Like a Hurricane...), but I am always intrigued by rock concert performances with professional orchestras. This is Scorpions with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. I love, love watching these "serious classical musicians" rocking out with this awesome concert performance. Enjoy!

No comments: