Friday, March 05, 2010

Monkey Business

Happy Friday!!

Today is my birthday! It was a pretty great day as far as birthdays go. The boys were fairly well behaved. After a lazy morning (when I woke up I had been dreaming of peppermint mocha creamer! coffee was definitely in order) of coffee and computer time, I decided to take the boys to lunch for my birthday. First I had to do my traditional birthday photo. It was much harder to get a decent one this year. Ugh.I may have to work on it some more.

Of course, the monkeys needed some pictures too.Does he not look exactly like his shirt???
Monkey see, monkey do...
Whatcha doin' big brother?
For lunch, Kiddo originally chose to go to McDonalds, but he wanted to go inside. I had to veto the decision because if we went inside they would want to play on the playscape. I am not really against the playscape, but right now, Port is so stubborn that I was afraid if he climbed up in it, I wouldn't be able to get him out of it when it was time to go.

So, we settled on Sonic and the promise that we could sit outside at the tables. The monkey followed us there apparently.Dude, seriously. Enough with the monkey face.
What is his deal mom?
When we got out of the van, I suddenly remembered why we never sit outside at that particular Sonic; the WIND. It was soooo windy that is was uncomfortable. But on top of that, the wind was seriously cold. The boys tried to tolerate it, but after a few minutes they were both shivering. I had a great idea that we should have a picnic in the back of the van instead. We don't have the back seat installed right now, so there is a lot of cargo space in the back. I opened up the back doors and we crawled in and enjoyed our lunch. It was actually pretty fun!mmm, Tatertots.
mmmm, drink.
mmmm, caramel dipping sauce.

Then, Port caught his reflection in my lens...
Silly monkey. Of course, Kiddo has some silly, mustard mouth faces of his own.
I had also promised we could get ice cream, so when we were finished we got back in our seats to place our dessert order. Port did not want to get back in his seat. He wanted in the front and there was no way to convince him otherwise.

Until... I found a sucker in the diaper bag. Yes!

The sucker was enough to entice him back into his seat, so I placed an order for Kiddo and I and we ate our ice cream on the way home. I shared mine with Port and he loved it! About half way home, Kiddo was complaining about something on his arm, and I turned around to find a piece of his cup stuck there. He had poked a hole in the cup with the straw, and the ice cream was beginning to ooze out everywhere. Thankfully we weren't too far from the house, so I wrapped the cup in a napkin and held it the rest of the way.

The kids were great when we got home. Port didn't want to nap so he screamed most of nap time away. I think he slept for maybe 45 minutes to an hour. He was pretty good when he got up though so it wasn't too bad. I gave him a carrot to chew on while I was making my birthday carrot cake with cream cheese icing and he absolutely loved it!
I finished up the cake and set the boys up with brats on the grill, then headed out with some of my girlie friends who took me out to a fabulous dinner! We went to south Austin to BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse. I had no idea we had a BJ's here - it used to be one of Hubby's and my favorite places when we lived in AZ. My friends know me so well; they treated me to great food (spinach and artichoke pizza, YUM!), coffee, Starbuck's gift cards and chocolate!! Thank you so much Kim, Julia, Shannon and Jen for a wonderful evening out. I really, really enjoyed it!

I came home happy and full and thankful for wonderful family and friends. It was truly a fantastically memorable birthday.

Until,
D :)

No comments: