Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Mom Song

Happy Mother's Day!


I didn't want to do laundry today, but I did.


I didn't want to clean the kitchen. Not today of all days. But I did.


I didn't want to have to get up a million and one times at the sound of a baby crying. But I did.


I didn't want to change a poopy diaper and wipe a poopy bottom. But, well I'm sure you know I did.


Today is the day that someone, somewhere has designated as a day to honor mothers everywhere. And while I am thankful and proud to be recognized in some way today, it doesn't really stand out in my mind as "different" from any other day.


Of course, we did get to go out for lunch. We did get to spend the weekend with Hubby's parents. Those things were amazingly wonderful! I wish we could do them more often. Friday night Hubby and I even got out for a date. We went to a dinner/movie place in town and saw Speed Racer. I don't think I have ever seen a movie on opening night. It was really fun.

But aside from all those things, there was no fanfare, no real celebration I guess, just going through the day as usual with some nice extras thrown in.

I am not complaining, really. It was a nice weekend. I guess I'm not really sure what I was expecting. I did tell Hubby that next year he's going to have to step up his game. Kiddo will be old enough to have Hubby help him make me a card and maybe even put together some sort of breakfast or something. It would be nice to have them cater to me a little one day a year. It would be nice to be made to feel special by people excited to feel that way.

I'm not making sense, I know.

I don't want this post to sound ungrateful. I guess we just don't do holidays really enthusiastically - or something.

Anyway, I did want to say that I hope all of my mom friends had a wonderful Mother's Day. I have never felt more bonded to a group of women as I do now that I am a mom. I am constantly amazed at the generosity and kindness that the moms that I chat with show each other. I am constantly blessed with their kind words and actions. The moms I chat with on Babycenter are some of my closest friends, though many of us have never met face to face. I absolutely cherish the moms in my playgroups and am so thankful they are in my life. I never thought I could find friendship in those places, and I am overwhelmed at how wonderful they all are and how easy it has been to form the relationships we have.

Then there is my mom and mother in law. I appreciate them in ways I can never express. God has blessed me with an amazing family and wonderful friends surrounding me.

I wish you all the best. Happy Mother's Day!
Until,
D :)

I'm sure you've all seen this before, but it's pretty darn good!

No comments: