Sunday, February 25, 2007

Memoirs of a Housewife 2

A quick, on the side note. You may or may not have noticed, but I title most of my blog posts with song titles. Most of them are Jewel songs, or songs Jewel has performed. I have a bookmarked page that is basically a list of all of Jewel's songs and when I finish a post I often scan that page for a title.

Memoirs of a Housewife is a little song Jewel wrote but one that she doesn't perform (as far as I know). It is an interesting little poetic piece. I thought I would share the lyrics with you here.

Memoirs Of A Housewife
by Jewel Kilcher
I have a secret obsession
It's totally Tupperware
My own science project
Defying wear and tear
I'm jealous of shopping carts
And all of their brand new things
I want to fondle their labels
In hopes one'll rub off on me
'Cause everybody wants to feel brand new
Like they do
I spend my days indoors
Doing like ding-dongs do
Perfectly preserving
Myself for you
I take things out of their boxes
Take out my note pad and pen
Study carefully with childlike fascination
'Cause everybody wants to feel brand new
Like they do
So tell me you want me
Tell me you need me
Tell me I'll always be desirable
Especially to you
Make me feel brand new
Attractive!
Brand spanking clean
And desirable as homecoming queen
But if I were to bet
All of the french fries in the world
That you would say such things
I would surely be one very hungry girl
I approach china cautiously
If there's cracks I deny it
I ingest only perfect things
Into my visual diet
And at night I undress myself
In front of your favorite things
Your brand new hand-tied blue bass fishing lure
And in the corner your money clip sings
Everybody wants to feel brand new
Everybody wants to feel brand new
Like they do
As they do
I do too


Though I don't identify with all of it, a great deal speaks to me. If you would like to hear a very poor quality recording of the song, go here.

Until,
D

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Ahh, I knew I recognized some of these. "Life Uncommon" is one of my favorite Jewel songs.

K said...

I love jewel. Her music helped me through some real crappy times...