Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Funny Valentine

Wow I can't believe I missed blogging most of last week. I am sorry. I just haven't been motivated I guess.

We had a few good nights with Port early on in the week, then on Wednesday night (I think) things started going down hill again. He is teething again and it is really messing him up. A couple of nights I think too that he got too warm, and that contributed to his restlessness. Unfortunately the temperature in the room has to be just right; he doesn't care for blankets and if he is too hot that wakes him up too.

So I am back on the no sleep train. Man I hate this ride.

We had our garage sale yesterday; despite being grossly unprepared and the weather bitterly cold, we still managed to pull in $70 with only 5 visitors. We sold our glider the bassinet and bouncy seat, a stroller set and various toys. We still have a TON of stuff and plan on doing it all over again in a couple of weeks.

I am slowly getting the spare room cleaned out and organized, and already have a place cleared for the crib. I hope I can get it (and ultimately Port) in there this week. We just can't take this awful sleeping arrangement any more. Last night was bad, bad, bad. Port went down early (thanks to an eventful day and a short nap) and then was up just as Hubby and I were turning in. Up. Screaming.

Again with the screaming. Nothing I did would sooth him. I was at the end of my rope for sure. Hubby started suggesting just putting him in the crib and letting him cry, but with him only feet away, and also right on the other side of the wall from Kiddo - I just didn't think it was the best idea. He was obviously in pain. I managed to rub some dissolved teething tablet on his little puffy gums and he instantly calmed; but it didn't last. He and I wrestled around and tossed and turned on the couch all night long. I have a gruesome headache today as a result.

Yesterday was great though. It warmed up a bit in the afternoon, and while Hubby was working on his motorcycle in preparation for his upcoming Big Bend trip, Kiddo was hanging out in the garage too. He decided he wanted to ride his bike.

We got him this bike for Christmas 2007 and he still hasn't learned how to ride it. Unlike his bike fanatic daddy, Kiddo is very timid when it comes to things like this, and most bike sessions last a minute or two and end with Kiddo freaking out and giving up. This time though, I decided to go out with them and see if I could help out. With Port on one hip I held the handle bars with my other hand and had Hubby stand on the other side of the bike. I showed him that if he leaned to either side the training wheels would slow him down and Daddy and I would also catch him. Kiddo started his usual dismount, claiming he didn't want to do it anymore, but I kind of ignored him and started pulling him down the driveway. We did several loops around the cars, and after about 4 or 5 times I let go of the handle bars and Hubby told Kiddo he would hold him on the seat (which he did, sort of *wink*). We let him go out into the culdesac a few times and he loved it! I was so glad he finally got comfortable with it and he actually had fun. We made it a race (Kiddo's FAVORITE thing in the world) back up the driveway each time - he raced Port and I or Daddy, and each time he got stronger and more confident. He even toppled over slightly once and actually caught himself by hopping off the bike. Hubby was impressed because apparently when that has happened in the past Kiddo freaked out and wanted to quit. But this time he hopped right back on and kept going. I was so proud of him!!

Earlier yesterday Hubby took Kiddo over to his friend John's house. John and his wife have two little ones, a girl about 4 and a boy that is 2. Kiddo and the little girl play really well together, so Hubby took him over to play a while while he and John talked about the motorcycle trip. At one point, John's wife was making the kids peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and she asked Kiddo if he wanted one. Kiddo very clearly spoke up and told her that he couldn't eat peanut butter. Hubby heard him from the adjacent room and went to see if everything was ok. He was very impressed that Kiddo knew to say something. I am so glad - sometimes he scares me with his trust in others that what they offer him is ok. Just the other day we were at a friend's house and he came in the room with some candy in his mouth. I freaked out because I didn't know what it was or where it came from. But because one of the kids had given it too him he just took it and ate it and never thought twice about it. I had to have a long talk with him about clearing any food or candy offered to him with me or Hubby first - so I think that may be why he was so adamant with John's wife. Later on she offered him a cookie and he asked her first if it had peanuts. YAY!! He is learning!

So anyway, last night we had a very nice dinner; shrimp cocktail and spinach and artichoke dip to start, steak with sauteed onions and mushrooms and salad for dinner and brownies and raspberry cheesecake for dessert. YUM! I am still full! Unfortunately, Port screamed through the whole meal. He has been so uncooperative in the high chair lately. When he is done with sitting (not necessarily with eating mind you) he drops things on to the floor and screams. If that doesn't get our attention, he sweeps his arms back and forth and cleans off the whole tray, throws his head back and screams bloody murder. I have never seen a child scream the way he does.

As far as Valentine's Days go though, it was very nice.

I will be enjoying the brownies and cheesecake all week!

D :)

No comments:

Bloggy Bling!

Important Stuff

Business 2 Blogger

Swidget 1.0

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP