Thursday, March 08, 2007

Painters

Last night I decided to paint my toe nails. The weather is getting warmer and there is just no excuse for me to run around in flip flops with bare, nasty toes. I found a couple of colors I liked in my medicine cabinet and put on a few quick coats while Kiddo was taking a shower.


Yes, he is taking showers now. *sigh* Don't get me started.


Anyway, I started out with a lovely, pale peach. Since it has been eons since my toes were painted, I had to mix up the polish a bit. As I rolled it between my hands, the familiar clicking of rings on glass began. I was suddenly 8, maybe 10 years old, and my mother was clicking polish between her fingers. You can't shake nail polish or it will get bubbles in it, so roll it like this. click, click, click, click.


My mom always had the best assortment of nail polish. She kept all her bottles in the door of the refrigerator. Gosh, there must have been 30 bottles stored there at any given time, and all of them were red. Bright, fire engine red, to sunburst red to deep, almost purple reds. At that time colors like green and blue were unheard of, but the assortment of colors never suffered. I would stand there looking through them all over and over; more fascinated really by the variety of bottle styles and handles, rather than the colors. Some of the bottles were probably 10+ years old.


She kept all those bottles in the refrigerator door for years; throwing out one or two every now and then when they really started to look bad. I'm not sure when they all were discarded, though it probably coincided with replacement of the entire refrigerator. What's funny though; I cannot think of even one time she actually wore nail polish!


I managed a couple coats of the peach before I thought red might be better. So, my last coat came from the firey red bottle and barely dried before Kiddo was emerging from the steamy box. Lookit Mommy dere es red on your toes! Lookit, lookit, lookit de red!


I hope I didn't freak him out!

Until,
D :)

2 comments:

C. L. Fry said...

You didn't show me your toes!

Mollie said...

the fridge really??.... maybe that is why my colors are sickening and each stroke goes on a different shade. I know I haven't bought anything new since I was kidless.

And why didn't you post of photo of said toes?? ;)