Friday, March 02, 2007

Tiny Love Spaces

Just a few little things....

Yesterday I was in the shower, doin' my thing, and when I got to washing my legs I discovered I had a Lightning McQueen sticker stuck to my leg. How did that happen?!? I am still wearing jeans just about every day. How long had it been there? Why didn't I feel it? I guess it must fall in that same category as always having a smudge of something on my shoulder. snot, slobber, spit up, etc.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*

While playing at the neighbor's house the other day, Kiddo disappeared into her daughter's room. He was pretty quiet so I tip-toed over to spy on him and see what he was up to. He had put one of her dolls into a little high chair and was having a tea party with her. He fed her play watermelon and gently held a tea cup to her lips. Then he found a play hair dryer and pretended to dry her hair. It was all so sweet and gentile - I melted.

~****~****~****~

What is it about certain children's books? I cannot stand it if right in the middle of some goofy story the author decides to start rhyming. I mean, make it rhythmic and rhyming all the way through or don't. Don't switch it up on me half way through and then stop again when you can't come up with another verse. One or the other people! Also, please don't tell my toddler who is learning colors and names of animals that a bumble bee is orange! A bumble bee is NOT orange; surely you can find something else to illustrate that color. And cherries are not typically pink either. And what is it about books that go on forever with one story, and then suddenly change to something else. When Scuppers finally finds the ship and goes out to sea - end the dang story. Please don't take me through 20 more pages about the hook for his pants and the hook for his coat and the hook for his handkerchief and then how he is shipwrecked and how he catches fish and fixes the ship and buys new clothes and then he has a song?!? For crying out loud, make a series of books for poor Scuppers. Mommy and Daddy don't want to read a 2 year old a 40 page book with 12 story lines! Ok, so maybe Scuppers is intended for an older child, but even if Kiddo was 3 or 4 years old, I still don't think I could make it through that story. Maybe I just have a problem with Margaret Wise Brown books. Something about them rubs me the wrong way. I feel like I'm reading a story by someone with severe ADD. Sorry Ms. Brown. I am sure you were paid well for your stories, but honestly I can't stand them.

I think I need more chocolate.
Until,
D :)

2 comments:

karrie said...

The visual of the sticker is hilarious.

I usually find bruises and have the same how the heck reaction.

OhTheJoys said...

"Doing my thing" - what THING was it that you were doing in that there shower, sister? Heh.