Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Brand New Day

I suffered through a completely pooptastic Sunday (and when I say pooptastic, I mean that literally) where I woke up and walked into the hallway just in time to see Kiddo stumble sleepy eyed out of the bathroom and step in a gigantic, horse size pile of doggy don't; and then watch him try to scrape the "don't" off of his sock by smearing it all over the concrete floor. After air lifting him to the nearest scrubbing facility to wash his feet, I carried him safely to the living room and then spent the next hour trying to clean the mess out of the concrete floor.

Did you know concrete is rather, uh, absorbent?


The rest of the day went down hill from there. Demon possessed children on top of many small annoyances left me completely frazzled by just after noon. Port took an early nap, and I was hoping Hubby would be back from his trip in time for Port to go down for a second nap, and therefore give me a break to go run some errands alone. Unfortunately, Hubby was running late and so I opted to suck it up and take the kids with me, hoping the fresh air and running around would do us all some good.

Boy was I wrong.

At the store, Kiddo whined the whole way through about bring there and then whined at the check out counter that he didn't want to leave. Another lady in line took such pity on me that she let me go first, even though she had been waiting longer. And honestly, he wasn't being loud or drawing attention to us, he was just. that. pitiful.

We got to the next store and things were a bit better until Port started cranking up. And given no other choice I so did NOT give him a chew toy from the pet section to occupy his time in the store, NOR did I not realize he had dropped said toy somewhere in one of the isles for an employee to find later on in all it's slobbered and chewed on glory. Nope. I absolutely did NOT do that.

Did I mention he is cutting 2 more teeth??

Anyway we made it back home, Hubby made it home and dinner was fairly odd. I was not about to cook after the day I had so we did the "we're having left-overs so find what you want in the fridge and eat when you want" thing. I put Port down extremely early because his early nap that morning and no nap that afternoon left him spent by 6:30pm.

And then came bed time for Kiddo.

Oh goodness.

I do not know what child took over the body of my 4 year old, but I have never had such a difficult bed time experience with him (except for the time he didn't sleep from oh, birth to 2 1/2 years old)! He fussed, he cried, he whined; he didn't want to go to bed and he refused to put on his pajamas and he refused to pick up his room - it was a disaster. We pretty much had an all out war ending in me forcefully putting on his clothes and tossing him in the bed without so much as a good night.

He and I both cried for a while.

Once he had calmed down I went in a talked to him, and though he continued to protest (though much more calmly) he was out within just a few minutes.

Hubby and I went to bed early and I tossed and turned for a couple of hours before falling asleep.


the sleep gods smiled on me.

Port slept the next morning until 9:40am. I was actually worried about him and opened his door at 8:30, just to make sure he was alright. Even with the door open and commotion in the house he still slept for another hour.

Once he was up and we were ready to go I took the boys to run a few errands. Before we left I grabbed my jar.

My jar sits on a shelf above the washing machine. It collects the loose change and other odds and ends that end up in my washer. It's been serving me well in that location for a few years now. I figure if I have to be the one to dig the coins out of the washer, then I get to keep them. Fair enough, right?

One of the errands was a run to HEB. When there I located the Coinstar machine. I pulled out the assorted buttons and safety pins from the jar and dumped it along with the contents of my change purse into the machine.

Lots of noise and several minutes later, out popped a Starbucks Gift Card.


I see some lovely evenings in my future!

D :)


Julia said...

You crack me up with the Starbucks card and Coinstar machine. I'll be sure to pass on my Starbucks cards your way. My dad passes some to me occasionally, and most of the time, I forget about them so they just sit and collect dust. (Was that I gasp from you that I heard over the interweb?)

Victoria said...

Well,you certainly heard me gasp. It's sacrilege to think of all that potential coffee not being drunk.

Okay, you officially top my craptastic day, Dawn. Not that it's a badge of honor or anything. But I bow to a superior level of crap, and wonder how someone didn't get listed on eBay after a day like that.

Dawn said...

Julia - don't give me your gift cards, come have coffee *with* me!!! That is much more enjoyable anyway. ;)

Vick - I wasn't trying to top you for sure, actually I think you beat me - I don't think I could handle Miss O's famous meltdowns and just how incredibly smart and clever Miss I is.

BUT - one thing I didn't put in the post - lol (mainly because my family reads it. Hopefully they don't read the comments...if you do Family, I apologize for what I am about to reveal...)was that while I was at the store, my uh, cycle started, and I was so NOT prepared. Ugh.

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. ;)

There was an error in this gadget

Bloggy Bling!

Important Stuff

Business 2 Blogger

Swidget 1.0

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP