Thursday, March 05, 2009

Good Day

I woke up way too early this morning to the sound of Kiddo talking. Loudly. Way too early. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk....who the heck was he talking too?? After about 30 minutes of trying to tune him out I staggered into the kitchen to find him on the floor with his arms wrapped around the dog's neck and he was just telling her all sorts of interesting stuff.


I asked him to please be quiet because Mommy and Port were still trying to sleep - he grumbled and fussed a bit and I staggered back to bed. A few minutes of sleep later and I hear Port crying in his room. Figuring I wasn't going to get any more sleep I got him up and we played for a few minutes quietly in my bed. Once Kiddo discovered us it was too loud for me to endure without coffee so I herded the wee ones to the kitchen.

I asked Kiddo if he knew what day it was; of course he said no. I told him it was my birthday.

Kiddo: "It is? So it's March? We can flip up my calendar!!!"
Me:"Oh yes, we can flip up your calendar. So aren't you glad it's Mommy's birthday?"
Kiddo: "yes, let's go flip it! I want to see Eve!"

So we go flip the calendar and I ask him "so what else should you do on Mommy's birthday?"
Kiddo: "I don't know"
Me: "Don't you want to wish Mommy a happy birthday?"
Kiddo: "yeah."
~pause~ ~pause~ ~pause~
Me: "you can say it now if you want."
Kiddo: "happy birthday Mommy"

[like pulling teeth I tell ya!]

So the day started out pretty nice; the kids played well together, Port was being super cute and walking a lot. People called and emailed and wrote on my Facebook wall - it was all good.

I even got a call from one of my old high school friends; we share a birthday, and it was such a pleasant shock and surprise to hear his voice after oh, gosh, I think it's been about 10 years??? It was great talking to him again!

While Port was taking a "nap" (re: screaming in the crib) I managed my yearly birthday photos.

I like the second one, but the background was pretty ugly so I tried a texture on it. I am not very good with textures!

Anyway, I decided that it might be ok to venture out into the world - my fear of something bad happening was still there, but I figured a trip to Sonic would be ok.

Warning - this story is about to get dreadfully scary. I apologize in advance for the frightening things I am about to tell you. If you do not want to read of my tragedy, please click over to the next blog.

I'll give you a moment to ready yourself.




I KNEW the day was going to be horrible. I just knew it.

I got us all dressed and ready to go, and just before we left I remembered that I had left my auto insurance card mixed in all the paperwork from the van registration. If there was any day that I might get pulled over, this would be it; so I was glad I had remembered to get the insurance card. Crisis averted, I drove over to the Sonic nearest to me.

It took some time to figure out what we wanted, and while I was waiting for Kiddo to decide I glanced around the parking lot. It seemed pretty empty for the lunch rush, but I figured maybe we were a little early or something. Finally Kiddo made up his mind and I pushed the red button. After what seemed like forever, the order taker asked me for my order. After rattling off everything we wanted, there was a long pause.

"uh, ma'am? I'm so sorry but...

our soda machine is not working. Can I get you a water or an Iced Tea?"

*blink* *blink*



OH the horrors!!!!!!

Sorry, I needed a moment. It still gives me shivers to think about it.

I canceled our order and drove away. {sadness}

THANKFULLY - there are about 5 Sonics within a 5 mile radius.

HOORAY for development!!!

I headed to the next nearest Sonic, but on my way I discovered something terrible!

When Hubby had put on my new TX license plates, he forgot to affix the registration sticker to the windshield!!!!


I did a power slide across 2 lanes of road to make a right turn back toward my house and called Hubby to fuss at him.

[ok, so I didn't really power slide. Is it even possible to do that in a big ol' van?]

[and yes, I did call Hubby to fuss - wouldn't you?]

I drove back to the house and found the sticker and put it on the windshield. Yet another crisis averted, we headed out again to the Sonic.

{Mercy this is exhausting.}

Lunch was great - we even scored an extra stick of string cheese (free!) for Port because the server forgot to put Kiddo's in the bag. Everyone was happy and full and we made a quick stop in Target for some booty cream for little Port. He had poopied the night before and slept in the dirty diaper {I KNOW! I felt SO bad!!} so he had a terribly burned bottom that morning.

Target was fairly uneventful and we made it home safely. After the Sonic fiasco and the sticker near tragedy I decided it best we stay in for the rest of the afternoon.

Hubby got home from work early, just as I was getting Port down for a much needed afternoon nap (around 4ish; we still haven't worked out regular nap times). We decided to let him sleep for an hour and then head to dinner early. Now that we have done this sleep training thing, dinner has to happen before 7:30 or our schedule gets completely thrown off.

Thanks to a timely gift card from my parents (thanks again Mom and Dad) we dined at Olive Garden. The food was great as usual (except the bread sticks were a bit overdone) and the service, as usual, sucked. When we walked in there was no wait - thank goodness - but at first they tried to seat us at their overflow tables right in the middle of the isle. We've had to endure those tables twice before, and with empty tables in other sections I was not about to sit there on my birthday. I asked the hostess if we could be seated somewhere else, and so she took us to a bigger table in a different section.

Our server was bad, bad, bad. We couldn't hear her when she spoke. She forgot things we asked for more than once, she had no personality whatsoever. When she would bring something, she would just dump it in the middle of the table. When she cleared our plates she didn't ask if we wanted dessert or anything. (and the reality was, I wanted to order a couple of desserts and get them to go because I hadn't made a cake for myself) The manager brought us the check while I was looking at the dessert menu! They are promoting some feedback survey so the manager brings all the checks to the table and explains the survey. After going through his spiel, he then asked me if I was interested in dessert. By then I was just annoyed and Port was extremely antsy - I think I mumbled something and he said to "let him know". Hubby and I both had taken turns walking Port around the restaurant so I was no longer in the mood to wait for anything else. I was very annoyed that the server didn't even ask us if we wanted anything else, so I scrapped the idea of dessert and paid the check.

I decided to stop at the HEB on the way home and pick up one of their yummy cream cakes (one of my PMS TOTM features way back in the day) as my birthday dessert and so we stopped at the one on the way home (the same one I went to the other day - ugh). I left the boys in the car (the big one too - don't go calling CPS on me) and ran in to pick one up right quick.

Now, HEB always has Cream Cakes. And they always have Chocolate.

Well, not always I guess.


I settled on a Pina Colada version and we took it home. It was ok, but not exactly what I was looking for.

So my day was horrible, tragic, disaster-ific....yeah no it was great really! I was so blessed by all the warm well wishes, the phone calls (I may never get the sound of my inlaws serenading me out of my head) the emails and sweet notes, the IMs and the wall postings. Never have so many people remembered (thank you Facebook reminders!) and never have I heard from so many people on one day. And the minor catastrophes, er, uh, annoyances were nothing in the overall day. They just made it that much more interesting.

Interesting I can handle. ;-)

D :)


Julia said...

I'm so glad that you had a great day. If you ever want to try a little bakery that isn't terribly overpriced, the one by near me is my new favorite. It's called Wildflower Bakery.

Vick said...

Seconding Wildflower.. their Red Velvet cupcakes are to. die. for.

Happy Birthday :)

TitanKT said...

Yay! It was a happy birthday, I'm SO GLAD for you!

Happy birthday! And please accept my best and warmest wishes that the coming year be your best year yet!

Rachel Anne said...

Best Wishes for a Happy Happy Birthday! (Late, sorry!) On a day when you sooooo want everything to go right, I can understand the Sonic disappointment. And the other things. But what a great attitude, girl! Must be that 35ish, knows-how-to-kick-butt streak that kicks in right about now :)

OK, now I'll go and comment on the coffee post! :)

Bloggy Bling!

Important Stuff

Business 2 Blogger

Swidget 1.0

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP