Thursday, March 19, 2009

Heaven Give Me Words

Conversations with a 4 year old:

On the way to Walmart this afternoon; I'm not sure how we got on the subject but Kiddo asked me "what is Heaven?"

[Why, oh why do I get the HARD questions?!?]

So I explained it to the best of my ability. After a slight contemplative pause he says "can we go there?"

I told him that yes, we will go there some day.

"Will we go on Sunday?" [he often confuses some day with Sunday]

Me: "Gosh I hope not. That is really soon" [well, he caught me off guard!]

Kiddo: "How about Friday then?"

:)

After controlling my giggles...

Me: "well Baby, I don't know when for sure. Only God knows, but hopefully we will both get to live a long happy life here on Earth, and when our bodies are old and tired, God will decide it is time and we will go to Heaven."

Kiddo: "I like that idea."

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**


After a minute or two, things take a weird turn. Uh Mom, if you are reading this, you may want to brace yourself a little.

Kiddo: "Mommy, Grandma Goldie is dead."

Me: "WHAT??!?" [Grandma Goldie is my maternal grandmother, who, as far as I know, is still alive and kicking in a nursing home.]

Kiddo: "Grandma Goldie is dead. She is in heaven now."

Me: "No Baby, she's not dead. I'm pretty sure she's still alive."

Kiddo: "No Mommy. Her body was old and tired and God called her home*. She is in Heaven."

Me: "Who told you that Grandma Goldie was dead?"

Kiddo: "Heaven told me. Just now."

*where did he get that phrase?? mercy!

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

A few minutes later...

Kiddo: "Mommy, when I am a man and I live in Austin, where are you and Daddy going to live?"

Me: "Well, I don't know. We may still live here."

Kiddo: "In a different house?"

Me: "Perhaps."

(short pause)

Me: "Don't you want to live with mommy when you are a man?"

Kiddo: (excitedly) "I can?!? Oh yes, that would be fun if I could live with you when I am a man!"


Oh boy, what did I just do???

Until,
D :)

2 comments:

Jill said...

Good answers mom. I always need advice on these hard topics! :-) And no worries - JM wants to live with me with her 12 kids. Apparently I am to take care of them as she manages her "business."

Leslie said...

Very cute! Kaitlynn has been asking about heaven a lot lately too. She's even told me she wants to go there so she can see her Grandfathers :( I've told her it's just not time for her yet, she belongs here with me :) Also, David is always telling her that she can live with us forever, even when she is a mommy! I'm also asking him what he is thinking putting that thought into her head. 4 years is such a fun age, can't wait to see 5!